The mission of the Center for Excellence in Mathematics and the Sciences is to foster outstanding teaching and research in the various fields of math and science through the enhancement of existing campus initiatives and through effective collaborations between math and science faculty in K-16, with the goal of increasing the number and quality of students pursuing careers in math and science.
The goals of the Center for Excellence in Mathematics and the Sciences are to:
- Enhance the facilities and infrastructure for conducting research and research training in science disciplines through coordinated grant-writing activities for intramural and extramural funding,
- Create a forum for interdisciplinary math/science collaboration in teaching and research,
- Strengthen the capacity of K-12 institutions in the greater New Haven community to effectively teach mathematics and science to all students,
- Increase the impact of math and science on students through the General Education Program,
- Develop programs to specifically increase the number of women and members of underrepresented groups pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.