How do I find out if and when I've been accepted?
- An email will be sent to the preferred email address you listed on your admissions application (be sure to check your spam folder).
- A hard copy of the decision letter will be mailed to your home address.
Did you receive my high school transcript?
- Students should allow two to four weeks for documents to be received and processed in the Southern Admissions Office.
- Once a transcript, or any application document, has been received and processed, it will show as Received in your Admissions portal.
I’ve just been accepted for fall, but took a course this summer. Where do I send my transcript?
- Please send official transcripts to the Admissions Office to update your transfer credits.
Is it too late to apply? What are the admission deadlines?
- Southern reviews applications on a rolling basis. Deadlines are typically set close to the start of the term to ensure timely processing and course registration. Applications may be reviewed past May 1 and deposits accepted until the class is full.
- Early Action: Fall 2020 Freshman applications submitted by November 1, 2019 will be considered for Early Action notification. Completed applications will be notified of admission beginning December 15, 2019. Applications will be processed on a rolling basis after December 15, 2019.
- Freshman applicants interested in our BSN Nursing major should apply by the November 1 Early Action deadline to be considered for a limited number of direct Nursing admission spots.
If you are applying close to the start of term, contact Admissions at 203-392-5644 for details about our processing time frame.
Can I schedule a campus tour?
- Yes, we offer campus tours throughout the year. Schedule a campus tour now.
- Information sessions are also provided by Admissions representatives. When booking a tour, it will be clear as to which tour slots also include the information session.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided when you register for a tour.
Can I request a catalog, course schedule, or application?
- Requesting admissions information can be done through our Request Information form.
- The Undergraduate Catalog is no longer printed; the online catalog can be viewed at Catalogs and Academic Maps.
- Course schedules are no longer in print form. You can view course schedules in BannerWeb.
- Paper applications for admission are no longer available. If you do not have a computer, we encourage you to see your school or local library for computer access.
What is the difference between a confirmation deposit and admission deposit, and how can I pay it?
- These terms mean the same thing. A deposit is required from full-time students to hold your spot in the incoming class at Southern and begins your enrollment process. This payment is applied to your student account and will be used towards your tuition bill; it is not a fee to the University.
Students enrolling part-time are not required to make this payment.
Once you are accepted, log into your admission portal to reply to the offer of admission. This link will take you to the online payment portal where you can pay your deposit via Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards.
How do I get accepted/matriculated for admissions?
- Apply online (your application includes a short, personal essay and $50 non-refundable application fee)
- Have your high school send your official transcript, most current senior grades, and a letter of recommendation to the Southern Admissions Office.
- Request to have your SAT or ACT scores submitted directly to Southern Admissions. Use these links to request an official score report be sent directly to Southern Admissions:
SAT: How to send scores
ACT: Sending your scores
I am considering taking a gap year after finishing high school. Can I defer my admission to Southern?
- Yes, you may defer your admission to Southern one time, up to one year. For example, a Fall 2020 admission can be deferred to the Spring 2021 OR the Fall 2021 term.
- If you enroll in college courses during your gap year, earning 12 or more credits, you must reapply for admission to Southern as a Transfer student.
What are the trustee scholarship criteria and process?
- The Trustee scholarship is granted strictly on academic merit and is limited in funding. Admissions counselors identify candidates during application file review in the early spring each year for Fall enrollees.
I am not going to attend this semester. Can my $200 deposit be applied to the following semester?
- Yes, but you must submit a written request to the Admissions Office to have your admission status and deposit deferred to the following term. You can do so using the Application Withdrawal and Deferral form.
When are confirmation deposits due?
For Fall enrollees, your non-refundable $200 enrollment confirmation deposit deadline is
May 1st. The deadline has been extended to June 1.
How can I reactivate my Undergraduate Application?
If you applied for admission to Southern within the past year and you did not complete your application, you might not need to submit an entirely new application and pay the application fee again. You may be able to reactivate your application for one more term.
Note: An incomplete application for admission may be moved one time and only to following semester/term.
How do I login to the admissions portal?
When do I register for fall classes?
- New incoming freshmen students will receive their fall class schedule during orientation.
- New incoming transfer students will set-up an appointment with an advisor prior to registration. Transfer registration begins on April 27, 2020.
How do I apply to the Honors College?
- Applications for joining the Honors College are due at the beginning of January for the following academic year. There is an application and an essay the student will need to complete.
What are the qualifications for admission to the Honors College?
- High school seniors with outstanding academic ability and high SAT scores (minimum combined SAT verbal and math of 1050, or minimum ACT of 23);
- Transfer students who want to apply to the Honors College should contact the Honors College Office at 203-392-5499 at least one month prior to beginning their studies at SCSU. Transfer students with outstanding records who have not yet met most of the Liberal Education Program requirements may join the Honors College with permission of the director;
- Candidates who show a commitment to community service and/or co-curricular activities (such as athletics and performing arts), and leaderships qualities.
Are there any Honors Scholarships?
- To enable our students to excel in all aspects of the program, freshmen accepted into the Honors College are awarded financial support. All of the 40 incoming Honors College freshmen will receive a minimum scholarship covering one-half the cost of in-state tuition and fees, renewable for 4 years. The top 20% of accepted Honors College applicants will receive a Presidential Merit scholarship covering full in-state tuition and fees, renewable for 4 years.
I selected a major on my application, but my letter didn’t state that major?
- With the exception of the high school pathway for nursing, all students are accepted into the university. There are certain programs that require a separate application to apply into the program or some of the programs may have certain GPA requirements. You will meet with an advisor and s/he will be able to discuss this with you.
Where do I send my advance placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or A level exam to receive credit?
- You can request to have it sent directly to us from College Board or email it to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at email@example.com.
When do you need my transcripts for college courses I took while in high school?
- You should have the official transcripts sent electronically to the Undergraduate Admissions Office as soon as possible to receive transfer credit.
Can I double major?
- Yes. Candidates for a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree may elect a double major (as a double major Bachelor of Arts or double major Bachelor of Science degree). In this case the requirements of both majors must be satisfied, and courses used to satisfy one major cannot be used to satisfy a requirement of the other major.
Can I select a minor?
- Yes. Southern offers many minors. You can view the different minors in the 2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog.
How do I activate my Southern account?
- You can activate your MySCSU email account after you paid the $200 non-refundable deposit by logging into myscsu.southernct.edu. The username is your full SCSU email address and your first password will be SCSU!MMDDYY. Click here for instructions.
Do I need to send my final high school transcript?
- Yes, you will need to request to have your final transcripts sent electronically to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, once it is available with your graduation date.
How do I withdraw my admission application?
- You can send an email withdrawing your admission application to firstname.lastname@example.org.