FAQ: Undergraduate

  1. How do I apply to Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU)?

    First year students can apply by completing the Common Application online. 

    Transfer students may use either the Common Application or the SCSU online application. 

  2. What are the application requirements for a new first-time freshman student?

    • Complete the Common Application
    • Complete the essay or personal statement as part of the application.
    • Pay the non-refundable $50 application fee. (Fee waivers available to those who qualify.) 
    • Request that your official high school transcript be sent to SCSU. Digital transmission is preferred. 
    • International Students must have their secondary school transcripts evaluated as equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma by an accredited NACES evaluating organization and must demonstrate proficiency in the English language through satisfactory performance on one of the following:
      • TOEFL - 72 iBT/525 paper
      • IELTS - 6
      • ELS Academic English Level 112 certificate of completion
      • SAT - 900 (combined critical reading and math only)
      • ACT - composite score of 19
      • Pearson PTE – 53
      • Duolingo English Exam -100
  3. What are the admission requirements for a new first-time freshman student?

    Applicants must graduate from an accredited secondary school or hold an official high school equivalency diploma. Secondary school preparation in the following areas is recommended:

    • English (4 years)
    • Mathematics (3 years)
    • Natural sciences (2 years)
    • Social sciences, including U.S. History (2 years)

    In addition, at least two years of a modern language other than English are recommended. SCSU requires modern language study as part of its degree requirements. 

  4. What are the application requirements for a new transfer student?

    • Complete the SCSU Transfer Application or the online.
    • Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee when you submit your application online. (Fee waivers are available to those who qualify.)
    • Request that official transcripts from each previous college, university, or any other post-secondary institution attended, be sent to SCSU (digital transmission preferred.
    • Request that your official final secondary school transcript be sent to SCSU if you have not earned an Associate’s Degree or higher.
    • Academic credentials earned at a non-US institution must be translated to English and evaluated course-by-course by an NACES (link) accredited evaluating organization. For questions about the evaluation process, please contact the evaluation service directly. If your transcripts are in English, the evaluation is still required to determine credential and grade equivalency. 
    • International Students must demonstrate proficiency in the English language through satisfactory performance on one of the following:
      • TOEFL - 72 iBT/525 paper; 
      • IELTS - 6
      • ELS Academic English Level 112 certificate of completion
      • SAT - 900 (combined critical reading and math only)
      • ACT - composite score of 19
      • Pearson PTE – 53; or
      • Duolingo English Exam -100
  5. What are the admission requirements for a transfer student?

    Application decisions are based primarily on your cumulative college GPA. Typically, 2.50 GPA or higher is expected. 

    Other factors may be considered, such as length of time since you were last enrolled in college, and accomplishments outside of the classroom that demonstrate ability to succeed in college. 

  6. What is a transfer student?

    A transfer student is a student with 12+ transferrable credits from another college or institution. Students entering SCSU with fewer than 12 credits will be considered first year students. 

  7. What are the deadlines for applying?

    Spring 2021 deadline:

    • The last day a first-year freshman or transfer application will be accepted is Friday, January 8, 2021.

    Fall 2021 deadline:

    • The last day a first-year freshman or transfer application will be accepted is Friday, August 13, 2021.
  8. How do I apply to the Honors College?

    Applications for joining the Honors College are due at the beginning of January for the following academic year. There is an application and an essay the student will need to complete. 

  9. What are the qualifications for admission to the Honors College?

    High school seniors with outstanding academic ability (minimum 3.6 GPA based on a 4.0 GPA scale and top 15% of their class. 

    Transfer students who want to apply to the Honors College should contact the Honors College Office at 203-392-5499 at least one month prior to beginning their studies at SCSU. Transfer students with outstanding academic achievement who have not yet met most of the Liberal Education Program requirements may join the Honors College with permission of the director; 

    Successful candidates can demonstrate a commitment to community service and/or co-curricular activities such as athletics or performing arts, and leadership qualities.

  10. Are there any Honors Scholarships?

    First year students accepted into the Honors College are awarded financial support. All of the 40 incoming Honors College freshmen will receive a scholarship covering at least one-half the cost of in-state tuition and fees, renewable for 4 years. The top 20% of accepted Honors College applicants will receive a Presidential Merit scholarship covering full in-state tuition and fees, renewable for 4 years. 

  11. What are the Trustee Scholarship (merit) criteria and selection process?

    The Trustee Scholarship is granted based on academic achievement and funding is limited. Candidates are identified in the early spring each year for Fall enrollees. There is no separate application required to be considered for the Trustee Scholarship. 

  12. Can I schedule a campus tour?

    Yes, we offer campus tours throughout the year. Schedule a campus tour now.
    Information sessions are also provided by Admissions representatives. Some tours also include an information session – check the schedule when you book your visit. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided when you register for a tour. You may also view the virtual tour and visual tour on our website: https://visual.southernct.edu

  13. Can I request a catalog, course schedule, or application?

    • Requesting admissions information can be done through our Request Information form.
    • The Undergraduate Catalog is available online at Catalogs and Academic Maps
    • You can view course schedules in BannerWeb.
    • Paper applications for admission are not available. You may access the online application at your school or local library, or you may schedule an appointment for computer access at Southern and we can assist you with the application
  1. How do I check to see if I’m missing anything from my application?

    Students can login to the Admissions application portal to view any outstanding requirements. 

  2. How can I reset my password for the admissions portal?

    Students can contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at (203) 392-5644 to reset the password. 

  3. How can I send my high school or college transcripts?

    The college transcripts can be sent electronically or via mail to Southern Connecticut State University, Undergraduate Admissions Office, 501 Crescent Street, New Haven, CT 06515. Electronic submission is preferred. 

  4. Did you receive my high school transcript?

    Students should allow two to five business days for documents to be received and processed by the Southern Admissions Office. 

    Once a transcript, or any application document, has been received and processed, it will show as received in your Admissions portal. 

  5. Can I email my social security number for Financial Aid?

    Student should not email their social security number because it is not secure. If there is a discrepancy, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at (203) 392-5644. 

    Students who need to add their social security number to the admissions application should login to the Admissions application portal to enter their social security number. 

  6. How can I check the status of my application?

    Students can check the status of their application by logging into the Admissions application portal.

  7. How can I change my contact email address?

    Student can send an email to admissions@southernct.edu with new email address. 

  8. How can I change my mailing address?

    Student can send an email to admissions@southernct.edu with the new mailing address. 

  9. Why is it saying I am an International Student when I am not?

    Students who are not U.S. citizens will by default be identified as an international student. If you entered that you are not a U.S. Citizen on the admission application in error, send an 

    email and proof of citizenship to admissions@southernct.edu. (Birth Certificate, U.S. Passport) 

    Undocumented students, or students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents and do not have a visa status may qualify for in-state tuition if s/he meets the Connecticut General Statute 10a-26 – 10a-29. If yes, student can submit the Application for In-State Tuition. 



  10. How can I reactivate my Undergraduate Application? 

    If you applied for admission to Southern within the past year and you did not complete your application, you might not need to submit an entirely new application and pay the application fee again. You may be able to reactivate your application for a new term. https://www.southernct.edu/admissions/reactivate 

    • Note: An incomplete application for admission may be moved one time and only to following semester/term. 



  11. How do I withdraw my admission application?

    You can send an email withdrawing your admission application to admissions@southernct.edu. It is helpful to us if you can provide a reason for withdrawing. If you have chosen to attend another school, please let us know. 

    You can also log into your application portal to withdraw your application. 

  12. When will I hear back with a decision?

    Completed applications (all required documents received) will be reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants will be notified of the decision beginning October 2021. Please allow up to two weeks for application review once SCSU has received all required documents.) 

  13. How do I find out my admissions decision?

    An email will be sent to the preferred email address you listed on your admissions application (be sure to check your spam folder). 

    A hard copy of the decision letter will be mailed to the home address you provided on your application.

  1. Where do I pay the enrollment deposit?

    After being accepted to Southern, students will confirm their decision to enroll by paying the enrollment deposit by logging into the Admissions application portal. Click on “Reply to Offer.”

  2. How do I change my status to part-time/full-time?

    Students should send an email to admissions@southernct.edu letting us know if they plan to change their planned enrollment status to part-time or full-time. Full time is 12 credits or more per semester; part time is fewer than 12 credits. At least 6 credits per semester are required for financial aid eligibility. 

  3. I’ve just been accepted for fall, but took a course this summer. Where do I send my transcript?

    Please send the official transcript for any summer courses to the Undergraduate Admissions Office to update your transfer credits. 

  4. What is the difference between an enrollment deposit, a confirmation deposit and an admission deposit, and how can I pay it?

    These terms mean the same thing. A deposit is required for full-time students to confirm their place in the incoming class at Southern. Paying the enrollment deposit provides access to orientation, advising, registration and other critical steps in the enrollment process. This payment is applied to your first semester charges. Students enrolling part-time are not required to make a deposit. 

    Once you are accepted, log into your admission portal to reply to the offer of admission. This link will take you to the online payment portal where you can pay your deposit via Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit or debit cards. 

  5. I am considering taking a gap year after finishing high school. Can I defer my admission to Southern?

    Yes, you may defer your admission to Southern one time, up to one year. For example, a Fall 2020 admission can be deferred to the Spring 2021 OR the Fall 2021 term. 

    If you enroll in college courses during your gap year, earning 12 or more credits, you must reapply for admission to Southern as a Transfer student. 

  6. I am not going to attend this semester. Can my $200 deposit be applied to the following semester?

    Yes, but you must submit a written request to the Admissions Office to have your admission status and deposit deferred to the following term. You can do so using the Application Withdrawal and Deferral form.

  7. If I defer my admission will my financial aid be deferred?

    No. You have to reapply for financial aid every academic year. 

  8. I selected a major on my application, but my letter didn’t state that major?

    With the exception of the Direct Admit pathway for nursing, all students are accepted generally into the university and not into a particular program. There are programs such as Social Work and Education that you will have to submit a separate application to be admitted into their program. 

  9. Can I double major?

    Yes. Candidates for a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree may elect two majors. There may be financial aid implications depending on the timing of completion of each major or degree, so consult with your advisor and the Office of Financial Aid to plan carefully. 

  10. Can I select a minor? 

    Yes. Southern offers many minors. You can view the different minors in the 2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog. A minor is not required for graduation. 

  11. When are enrollment deposits due? 

    For Fall enrollees, your non-refundable $200 enrollment deposit deadline is May 1st. 

  12. Where do I send my advance placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or A level exam to receive college credit?

    You can request to have score reports, transcripts or official documents sent directly to SCSU from the awarding organization , or students can email it to the Undergraduate Admissions Office at admissions@southernct.edu. 

  13. How do I activate my Southern account?

    You can activate your MySCSU email account by logging into https://myapps.southernct.edu. The username is your full SCSU email address and your first password will be SCSU!MMDDYY. Click here for complete instructions. 

  14. Can I request to live on campus with a specific person?

    You will have an opportunity to select your roommate(s) online during your designated room selection session after you pay the $250 non-refundable housing deposit.

  1. When is the financial aid deadline for fall 2021?

    The priority deadline to ensure access to all funds for which you are eligible is March 15, 2021. 

  2. Can I apply for financial aid after the priority date of March 15th?

    Yes, but some funds may be exhausted after the priority date. 

  3. How do I apply for financial aid?

    In order to apply, you, and your parent if you are a dependent student, need to complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA and include Southern’ s federal school code: 001406.

  4. I applied for financial aid but I have not received a financial aid packet. Who should I speak with?

    You can contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at (203) 392-5222 or email financialaid@southernct.edu. You must be accepted for admission in order to receive a financial aid award. Please allow up to two weeks from the date Southern receives your FAFSA information for your award to be processed. When complete, you may view your award in the MySCSU portal. (https://myapps.southernct.edu)

  5. Is there financial aid available for undocumented students?

    Yes, there is limited funding available. To apply, complete and email the Undocumented Student Aid Application for 2021-2022 to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at financialaid@southernct.edu. The application will be posted soon to the financial aid website (https://inside.southernct.edu/onestop/financial-aid) 

  6. May I request a re-evaluation of my financial aid package?

    To appeal your financial aid award, email the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at financialaid@southernct.edu. 

  7. What if my financial aid application is still incomplete?

    Contact the Office of Financial Aid if you need help understanding what documents are needed to complete or verify information in your financial aid application. 

  8. How do outside scholarships affect my Southern financial aid award?

    Financial aid and scholarships cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance except for the Federal Pell Grant.