The mission of the Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science (CEMS) is to foster K-16 student success across STEM disciplines by supporting innovative teaching and research in the various fields of mathematics and science through the enhancement of existing campus initiatives, development of new initiatives and partnerships, and through effective collaborations between mathematics, science, and education faculty both on and off campus, with the goal of increasing the number and quality of students pursuing careers in mathematics and science.
The goals of the Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science are to:
- Strengthen the capacity of K-12 institutions in the greater New Haven community to effectively teach mathematics and science to all students,
- Coordinate and conduct grant-writing activities in support of funded and unfunded programs and events that help address the need for more, and better-trained STEM teachers and professionals,
- Create a forum for interdisciplinary mathematics/science collaboration in teaching and research,
- Develop and support programs that expose the regional community to STEM, especially those that specifically increase the number of women and members of underrepresented groups pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Increase the impact of mathematics and science on SCSU students through the Liberal Education Program (Southern's general education program).