Program Goal: To provide graduates of entry into respiratory care professional practice degree programs with additional knowledge, skills, and attributes in leadership, management, education, research, and/or advanced clinical practice that will enable them to meet their current professional goals and prepare them for practice as advanced degree respiratory therapists.
Southern’s AS-to-BSRT program is designed to enhance the student's professional career in Respiratory Therapy. The curriculum provides students who hold Associate degree in the field of respiratory care and RRT certification, with the necessary skills and knowledge to be fully prepared to further assume professional leadership roles in clinical practice, research, education, marketing and management.
The mission of the AS-to-BSRT Program in Respiratory Care at SCSU is to provide sound instruction and resources for currently practicing respiratory care professionals, to enable students to develop the knowledge, skills, attitude, and critical thinking necessary to function as successful and competent respiratory therapist leaders. The AS-to-BSRT Program in Respiratory Care at SCSU fosters and promotes these important concepts through the advancement of education, teaching excellence, practice, research, community engagement and a commitment to lifelong learning.
- Leadership Competencies
- Evidence-based Medicine and Respiratory Protocols
- Critical Thinking Competencies
- Clinical Decision-Making Competencies
The demand for baccalaureate prepared respiratory therapists continues to grow. According to the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), patient advocacy and provider groups recognize the increasing level of expertise and education required to ensure patient safety and efficient delivery of appropriate care. Working in health care today requires respiratory therapists to think critically, to analyze situations and to make essential decisions quickly and efficiently. Respiratory therapists must be committed to lifelong learning and delivering therapies that are grounded in evidence based practice. *
*Read the full AARC Entry to Respiratory Therapy Practice Issue Paper.
- Online course delivery format to support the needs of busy respiratory therapy professionals
- Robust curriculum designed to develop deeper understanding of current healthcare logistics
- Emphasis on broad set of advanced-level competencies: interprofessional teamwork, person-centered care principles and applications; change management on the healthcare landscape; and, critical analysis of research
- Individualized program advising maximizes student experience, defines practice and prepares graduates for future leadership capacity
Visit the undergraduate catalog for program requirements and further information.
Dr. Joan Kreiger