Dr. Nikolaos Chrissidis
professor of History
PhD, Yale University
MPhil, Yale University
MA, Yale University
BA, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
An Academy at the Courts of the Tsars: Greek Scholars and Jesuit Education in Early Modern Russia. DeKalb, IL: Northern Illinois University Press (forthcoming).
Nikolaos Chrissidis, Cathy Potter, David Schimmelpenninck van der Oye, and Jennifer Spock, eds. Religion and Identity in Russia and the Soviet Union: A Festschrift for Paul Bushkovitch. Bloomington, Indiana: Slavica Publishers, 2011.
Book Chapters and Articles
1. "Between Forgiveness and Indulgence: Funerary Prayers of Absolution in Russia." In Donald Ostrowski and Nickolas Lupinin, eds. The Tapestry of Russian Christianity. Forthcoming in volume 2 of series Eastern Christian Studies, published by Ohio Slavic Studies.
2. "The World of Orthodoxy," The Oxford Handbook of Early Modern European History, 1350-1750, vol. 1: Peoples and Place, ed. by Hamish Scott (Oxford University Press, forthcoming)
3. "A Ladies' Saint: The Miracles of Tsar Nicholas II." In: D. Stamatopoulos, ed. Religion and Politics in Europe's Orients (Leiden: Brill, forthcoming)
4. "Greek Teachers, Jesuit Curriculum, Russian Students: The Slavo-Greco-Latin Academy of Moscow in Historiographical Perspective," Kyïvs'ka Akademiia, v. 10 (2012), pp. 90-116.
5. "Crying Their Hearts Out: A Case of Public Penance in the Era of Catherine the Great," in Nikolaos Chrissidis et al., eds. Religion and Identity in Russia and the Soviet Union: A Festschrift for Paul Bushkovitch (Bloomington, Indiana: Slavica Publishers, 2011), pp. 107-125.
6. "Greeks in Seventeenth-Century Russia." In Donald Ostrowski and Marshall Poe, eds. Portraits of Old Russia (Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2011), pp. 154-164.
7. "Sex, Drink and Drugs: Tobacco in Early Modern Russia." In Matthew Romaniello and Tricia Starks, eds. Tobacco in Russian History and Culture: The Seventeenth Century to the Present. (New York: Routledge, 2009), pp. 26-43.
8. "Whoever does not drink to the end, he wishes evil: Ritual Drinking and Politics in Early Modern Russia," in Valerie Kivelson et al., eds. The New Muscovite Cultural History: A Collection in Honor of Daniel B. Rowland. (Bloomington: Slavica Publishers, 2009), pp. 107-124.
9. "Аристотель Иезуитов в Росcии XVII века: космология и планетная система в Славяно- Греко-Латинской Академии." Russkii Sbornik, v. 5 (2008), pp. 37-66. Russian translation of my 2004 essay cited below
10. "A Jesuit Aristotle in Seventeenth-Century Russia: Cosmology and the Planetary System in the Slavo-Greco-Latin Academy." In Marshall Poe and Jarmo Kotilaine, eds. Modernizing Muscovy: Reform and Social Change in Seventeenth-Century Russia (London and New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2004), pp. 391-416.
teaching and research interests
Russian religious and cultural history; Russian- Greek cultural relations
HIS 242 HIS 330 HIS 343 HIS 375 HIS 517 HIS 564