Dr. Nikolaos Chrissidis
professor of History
PhD, Yale University
MPhil, Yale University
MA, Yale University
BA, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
Nikolaos Chrissidis, Cathy Potter, David Schimmelpenninck van der Oye, and Jennifer Spock, eds. Religion and Identity in Russia and the Soviet Union: A Festschrift for Paul Bushkovitch. Bloomington, Indiana: Slavica Publishers, 2011.
Book Chapters and Articles
1. "Between Forgiveness and Indulgence: Funerary Prayers of Absolution in Russia." In Donald Ostrowski and Nickolas Lupinin, eds. The Tapestry of Russian Christianity. Forthcoming in volume 2 of series Eastern Christian Studies, published by Ohio Slavic Studies.
2. "The Jesuit Origins of Leichoudian Rhetoric: A Preliminary Appraisal," in Tret'i Likhudovskie Chteniia, (Velikii Novgorod, Russia, forthcoming)
3. "A Ladies' Saint: The Miracles of Tsar Nicholas II." In: D. Stamatopoulos, ed. Religion and Politics in Europe's Orients (Athens: Ecole Francaise d'Athenes Publications, forthcoming)
4. "Greek Teachers, Jesuit Curriculum, Russian Students: The Slavo-Greco-Latin Academy of Moscow in Historiographical Perspective," Kyïvs'ka Akademiia, v. 10 (2012), pp. 90-116.
5. "Crying Their Hearts Out: A Case of Public Penance in the Era of Catherine the Great," in Nikolaos Chrissidis et al., eds. Religion and Identity in Russia and the Soviet Union: A Festschrift for Paul Bushkovitch (Bloomington, Indiana: Slavica Publishers, 2011), pp. 107-125.
6. "Greeks in Seventeenth-Century Russia." In Donald Ostrowski and Marshall Poe, eds. Portraits of Old Russia (Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2011), pp. 154-164.
7. "Sex, Drink and Drugs: Tobacco in Early Modern Russia." In Matthew Romaniello and Tricia Starks, eds. Tobacco in Russian History and Culture: The Seventeenth Century to the Present. (New York: Routledge, 2009), pp. 26-43.
8. "Whoever does not drink to the end, he wishes evil: Ritual Drinking and Politics in Early Modern Russia," in Valerie Kivelson et al., eds. The New Muscovite Cultural History: A Collection in Honor of Daniel B. Rowland. (Bloomington: Slavica Publishers, 2009), pp. 107-124.
9. "Аристотель Иезуитов в Росcии XVII века: космология и планетная система в Славяно- Греко-Латинской Академии." Russkii Sbornik, v. 5 (2008), pp. 37-66. Russian translation of my 2004 essay cited below
10. "A Jesuit Aristotle in Seventeenth-Century Russia: Cosmology and the Planetary System in the Slavo-Greco-Latin Academy." In Marshall Poe and Jarmo Kotilaine, eds. Modernizing Muscovy: Reform and Social Change in Seventeenth-Century Russia (London and New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2004), pp. 391-416.
teaching and research interests
Russian religious and cultural history; Russian- Greek cultural relations
HIS 242 HIS 330 HIS 343 HIS 375 HIS 517 HIS 564