The Bachelor of Science in Communication Disorders is a pre-professional degree designed primarily for students who anticipate earning a master's or doctoral degree, state licensure and national certification as speech-language pathologists or audiologists.

The program's mission is to prepare graduates for entrance into advanced study in communication disorders, or for entrance into other human services professions, academic programs, and clinical experiences. The program prepares the undergraduate learner for life-long inquiry, leadership, and adaptation to change, through exposure to state-of-the-art instructional techniques which embrace questioning, interaction, assessment, and communication. Dedicated to excellence in academic preparation, the program is committed to an outcomes-based education that requires through formative and summative assessment, a formal student demonstration of acquired knowledge and skills based on program objectives.

For the most part, undergraduates complete the All University Requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree, however there are several department-specific AURs. Please consult the Undergraduate Catalog for more specifics.  


Learning outcomes 

Students will:

1) demonstrate the ability to synthesize and evaluate current disciplinary information and communicate this knowledge orally and in writing at a level that will prepare them for success in a graduate program in communication sciences and disorders or a related discipline. 

2) participate in a minimum of 25 hours of clinical observation and 25 hours of service learning that will broaden their experiences with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds and those with a range of special needs.  Students will reflect upon their learning in writing.

Frequently Asked Questions 

How many Communication Disorders courses are required for the undergraduate degree?

Eleven Communication Disorders courses are required in order to complete the undergraduate degree.

Is there a required Grade Point Average (GPA) in order to be an undergraduate student of of Communication Disorders?

Students must have a GPA of at least 3.0 in order to become CMD majors. A 3.0 GPA must be maintained departmentally and overall throughout the program.

Can I find employment with a Bachelor's Degree in Communication Disorders?

Students who complete the degree requirements and do not intend to pursue a graduate degree may find immediate entry into positions such as speech assistant, paraprofessional, or aide in public and private school systems. Students might also use this degree as a base for general educational and special education graduate studies or other human services professions, academic programs and clinical experiences.

Will I do "hands on" clinical work as an undergraduate student?

Our undergraduate students do not provide "hands on" clinical services. All undergraduate students are required to observe 25 hours of therapy as part of their program.

How are the 25 undergraduate observation hours obtained?

Students will obtain most or all of the 25 observation hours as part of their course work requirements. Observation hours may take place within the SCSU Center for Communication Disorders (Clinic) or may be done at an outside site. The therapy must be conducted or supervised by a speech-language pathologist or audiologist who is certified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

How many students are accepted into the SCSU Communication Disorders Master's program each year? Where are other Master's programs located?

The SCSU Department of Communication Disorders Master's program has an incoming annual class of approximately 40 students. The only other university in Connecticut that has a Master's level program is the University of Connecticut. There are a number of other programs in the tri-state area and numerous programs throughout the United States. For a complete listing of accredited programs, consult the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) web site.

I am a transfer student. Will I be able to graduate on time if I major in Communication Disorders?

Whether or not a student graduates "on time" (defined here as within 4 years after entering college) depends on many factors. The earlier a student begins the Communication Disorders Program, the greater the chances of finishing on time. Transferring sophomores can usually complete the program and graduate within 4 years of starting college (taking at least 15 credits per semester), while juniors and seniors may typically need an additional semester or more in order to complete all requirements. However, if students are willing to take additional courses during the summer and/or spring or winter breaks, it is usually possible to accelerate completion of the program.

What is the role of the academic advisor in the Department of Communication Disorders?

The CMD academic advisor meets with all students at least twice a year, in order to plan courses for each semester. The advisor maps out the program so that students can anticipate when they will take each course. The advisor can also provide valuable career counseling for students.

Who should I contact to obtain information about the Department of Communication Disorders ?

Further information may be obtained from Dr. Deborah Weiss, Undergraduate Advisor at weissd1@southernct.edu ,  203-392-6615.