If you want to help shape the future and make an immediate impact on the world, come earn your teacher certification at Southern. The Curriculum and Learning Department offers certification programs in elementary education, and cross endorsement. Qualified teachers can customize a pathway in our sixth year program for classroom teacher specialists or interdisciplinary sixth year educational coach program.
We've built programs especially to serve educators looking to grow without being bogged down by administrative duties, and we've created endless possibilities for teachers to continue to grow. For instance, our 6th year classroom specialist certificate program empowers teachers through personalized learning and choice.
Our department offers four degree programs leading to the Connecticut Initial Educators Certificate:
- Early Childhood, PreK - Grade 3
- Elementary, Grade 1 - Grade 6
- Collaborative Elementary/ Special Education (shared program with the Department of Special Education)
- Bilingual Elementary Education
- Additionally, our department helps to coordinate and advise for the following science certification programs: Biology 7-12, Chemistry 7-12, Earth Science 7-12, and Physics 7-12
Our undergraduates often spearhead research projects as members of the Honors College.
Programs leading to Initial Certification:
- Post-Baccalaurate Certification in Elementary Education
- Post-Baccalaurate Certification in Integrated Early Childhood
- Post-Baccalaurate in Bilingual Elementary Education
- Post-Baccalaurate in Biology Education 7-12
- Post-Baccalaurate in Physics Education 7-12
- Post-Baccalaurate in Chemistry Education 7-12
- Post-Baccalaurate in Earth Science Education 7-12
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Elementary Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Early Childhood
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Bilingual Elementary
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Biology 7-12
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Chemistry 7-12
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Earth Science 7-12
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Physics 7-12
Programs for Certified Teachers:
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Remedial Reading and Language Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Remedial Reading and Language Arts Specialist
- Post-Master's Certificate in Reading and Language Arts Consultant
- 6th Year Classroom Specialist
- 6th Year Certificate in Reading
Take charge of your professional development by designing a program to fit your long-term goals.