Careers in Psychology

What can you do with a degree in Psychology? The following is a list of professions where Psychology graduates are employed. Many of these require additional degrees, and these are listed with each profession.

Behavioral Health / Allied Health Professions

  • Applied Behavior Analysis Therapist (ABA certification)
  • Autism Project Manager (B.A.)
  • Clinical Psychology (Ph.D. or Psy.D.)
  • Community Psychology (M.A. or Ph.D.)
  • Counseling Psychology (M.A. or Ph.D.)
  • Human Service Case Worker (B.A.)
  • Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT)
  • Nursing (post-baccalaureate)
  • Occupational Therapist (M.A.; specific science courses as undergrad)
  • Physical Therapist (DPT; specific science courses as undergrad)
  • Psychiatry (M.D. + Ph.D.; need pre-med coursework as undergrad)
  • Recreational Therapy (MA)
  • School Counseling (MA)
  • School Psychology (M.A. or Ph.D.)
  • Social Work (MSW, DSW)
  • Speech-Language Pathology (M.S.)

Research / Higher Education Professions

  • Animal Care Lab Technician (B.S., M.A.)
  • Biotechnology Companies (B.S. or B.A. for entry-level, M.A., or Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology. Undergrad coursework in Biology is recommended)
  • Clinical Researcher (Ph.D.)
  • Clinical Research Coordinator: manage clinical trials at research hospital (B.S or B.A., or M.A.)
  • Professor (Ph.D.)
  • Psychology Lab Technician (B.S. or B.A., or M.A.)
  • Psychology Research Assistant (B.S. or B.A.)
  • Research Lab Manager (B.S. or B.A., or M.A.)
  • Research Principal Investigator (Ph.D.)
  • Technology company researcher (B.S. or B.A. for entry-level, M.A., or Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology.  Undergrad coursework in computer science is valuable)

Applied Psychology Professions

  • Criminal Justice (M.A. or Ph.D.; minor in Criminal Justice or Forensic Science recommended)
  • Human Factors Psychology & Ergonomics (M.A. or Ph.D.; work in transportation, aerospace, healthcare, technology & defense industries)
  • Human Resources (M.A. / Ph.D.)
  • Industrial-Organizational Psychology / Workplace & Personnel Psychology (M.A. or Ph.D.)
  • Marketing  (B.A.;  minor in Marketing or related field recommended)
  • Psychometrist: administer clinical and cognitive assessments (M.A. or Graduate Certificate)
  • Psychometrician: Design, analyze, and interpret clinical and cognitive assessments (Ph.D.)

Education Professions

  • Elementary Education (M.S.)
  • Special Education (M.S.)