The 2019 Application is now open!
March 1, 2019
Apply to the SCSU Bachelor’s in Social Work (BSW) Program by completing the on-line 2019 BSW Program Application.
- Note that the on-line application requires a brief essay.
- We suggest that you review the essay prompt and write your essay before beginning your on-line application. Please read the essay prompt.
- The essay prompt and instructions about how to upload the essay are also included in the on-line application.
Don’t forget that you also must apply to SCSU. Acceptance to SCSU is a requirement for admittance into the BSW Program.
Are you eligible to apply?
To apply to the BSW Program (in order to enroll in 300-level and above social work courses), the following prerequisites must be completed by the end of the spring semester in which the application is submitted:
- Completion of 57 credits of university requirements and cognate courses.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.5 and good standing with the University.
- Successful completion of SWK 200 or its equivalent, with a minimum grade of “B”.
- Successful completion of ENG 112 and MAT 107, or course equivalents.
Important Admissions Note
Admission to the BSW Program is competitive. Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria described above in order to apply. However, meeting the minimum requirements described here does not guarantee acceptance. The BSW program only accepts 70-80 students per year, depending on Departmental resources.
The application process occurs once a year: Applications are submitted in March and accepted students begin the program in the following fall semester. The following criteria are used to evaluate students for acceptance: GPA, completion of prerequisite courses, personal essay, and completion of university graduation requirements.
Consistent with SCSU admission requirements, candidates who, in the judgment of Social Work Department faculty, present strong academic and personal qualifications, as well as the greatest potential for program success, gain preference.
Admissions decisions are made by April. All applicants are informed of admissions decisions via email. Accepted students are assigned to a faculty advisor and a planned program for the fall semester is established. Note that students are accepted provisionally in April and are officially accepted at the end of the spring semester provided that those criteria continue to be met.
Contact the Social Work Information Desk at email@example.com or (203) 392-6344.