Departmental Career Overview
The Department of Communication, Media and Screen Studies ensures that you will have the top-notch skills that employers are looking for. What good is having a great idea if you can't communicate it effectively? Companies want employees who can think critically and creatively, work effectively as members of a team, and exude professionalism. A major in Communication, Media & Screen Studies ensures that you will graduate with these abilities and so many more.
General Career Assistance
SCSU students will receive career assistance through individual advising sessions with department faculty aligned with their chosen degree and concentration. In addition, the department regularly hosts a number of networking and professional development seminars with local industry professionals and alumni. The Office of Career and Professional Development is also available to provide various levels of focused career assistance.
Internship and Experiential Learning Opportunities
Students will gain valuable experience by applying practical and theoretical skills outside of the classroom through a variety of experiential learning opportunities, including:
- Internships – Students can directly obtain knowledge, skill, and competencies within a large network of professional organizations. Our internship experience also includes on-campus seminars focused on improving your interviewing, networking, and resume-writing skills.
- Independent Study – Students have the opportunity to develop new knowledge and scholarly inquiries within a topical area of their choice under the guidance and supervision of department faculty members.
- Practicum Courses – Practicum courses within each concentration will allow students to utilize their communication skills in real-world, professional simulations.
- Study Abroad – SCSU students have the opportunity to further expand their study of Communication with over 30 distinguished institutions from all over the world.
- Student Research/Creative Activity – Students have the opportunity to work collaboratively with current faculty on an extensive project within their area of expertise.
- Service Learning – SCSU students have the opportunity to apply their communication skills while serving the Greater New Haven community.
Success Stories of Recent Graduates
Our graduates are currently employed by a wide variety of professional organizations from across the country. Many have also obtained graduate degrees at a number of prestigious universities. Here are some specific examples:
- Media ingest editor – NY1 News
- Public policy assistant – UCONN Department of Public Policy
- Founder/video production specialist – Little Tree Farm Productions
- Advertising operations specialist – Thompson Reuters
- Account director – The Concept Studio
- Research assistant – Cowles Foundation for Research, Yale University
- Associate producer – NBC Universal
- Advertising manager and assistant to associate publisher – Teen Vogue Magazine, N.Y.
- Assistant digital marketing manager – HomeServe USA
- Digital producer – WTNH-TV
- E-Learning specialist – FactSect
- Senior videographer/editor – Miami Dolphins and Hard Rock Stadium
- Social media specialist – United Technologies
- Account executive – Inspira Marketing Group
- Account manager – Media Horizons
- Digital media specialist – TechRev Inc
- Marketing support associate – Nielson Company
- Event sales manager – Hyatt Regency, Greenwich, Conn.
- Associate center director – Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes
- Quality assurance associate – Molecular Neuroimaging
- Consumer marketing manager – Jake’s Franchising
- Media services technician – WWE
- Technology and operations analyst – ESPN
- Senior recruiter – ESPN
- Corporate citizenship coordinator – ESPN
- Senior marketing manager – Viacom
- Manager – MEC Media
Graduate Schools and Programs
- Duke Law School
- UConn – School of Social Work
- The New School, N.Y. – M.A. Media Studies
- New York University – M.A. in Media Ecology
- Columbia University – TOESL degree
- Manhattanville College – M.A. Elementary Education
- Regent University – M.A. Broadcast Journalism
- Fordham University – M.A. Media Studies
- American InterContinental University, London, U.K. – MBA in International Business
- Emerson College – MFA in Media Art