FAQ: Transfer Students

How do I find out if and when I’ve been accepted?

  • An email will be sent to the preferred email address you listed on your admissions application (be sure to check your spam folder).
  • A hard copy of the decision letter with your transfer credit evaluation will be sent within 2-3 weeks.

Do you really need my final high school transcript?

  • Yes. As a university that grants federal financial aid, proof of high school completion (official Final High School Transcript or GED diploma/transcript) is required for your record unless you already have earned a university degree (Associate, Bachelor, Master, Doctoral, etc).  This will be verified upon receipt of your official college/university transcripts.

I’ve just been accepted for fall, but took a course this summer. Where do I send my transcript?

  • Please send official transcripts to the Admissions Office to update your transfer credits.

Is it too late to apply? What are the admission deadlines?

Fall 2021 preferred deadlines for best course availability and selections are:

Application deadline:  August 6, 2021

Admission deadline:  August 13, 2021

Course registration deadline:  August 25, 2021

Classes begin:  August 26, 2021

How can I reapply/re-matriculate?

  • If you have attended Southern in the past AND went to another institution completing 12+ credits, you must reapply through the Admissions Office as a Transfer Student.
  • If you attended Southern in the past and did NOT attend another institution or took less than 12 credits, you must submit the Registrar’s office application for readmission.
  • If you left Southern with a GPA below 2.0, you may reapply for admission through the Fresh Start Program, which offers an option for formerly matriculated students.  The purpose of Fresh Start is to retain and offer support to students who experience a poor start and dropped from matriculated status or withdrew from the university. This program allows them to be readmitted to the university and disregard their previous record in calculating their Grade Point Average (GPA).
    The option is available only once, only to students who are not Education majors, and only to students who have completed all of the following conditions:

    • Had a GPA at Southern below 2.0,
    • Have enrolled elsewhere or held non-matriculated status for at least one year,
    • Have not yet earned 60 credits at Southern,
    • Present evidence of changed work habits by completing 9-12 college credits with a 2.75 GPA or better;  or earned a college degree from a regionally-accredited institution.

How do transfer students apply?

  • Complete the online Application for Admission along with your $50 non-refundable application fee or official fee waiver.
  • Transfer applicants are not required to write an essay.  However, if you would like to share  information relevant to your application, e.g. how you have been spending your time if many years have passed since your last institution, you may submit an essay after you have applied.
  • ALL previously attended colleges/universities should be listed on your application form.  Transcripts are required from ALL colleges/universities listed.  Omitting this information from your application may result in rescinding an offer of admission.
  • Transfer admission is based primarily on the GPA from your last attended school’s official transcript.
  • The following link details the newest Dual Admission agreement between SCSU and the CT Community College Nursing Programs:  http://www.ct.edu/files/pdfs/nursing-agreement-scsu.pdf

General transfer credit information

  • Transfer credit is granted only for courses on an official transcript received in the Southern Admissions Office. Courses must be taken at a regionally-accredited institution.
  • There is no limit on the number of eligible credits can be transferred.
  • Students must have completed at least 12 college credits to be considered a Transfer student.
  • Most Connecticut colleges'/universities' courses have already been evaluated, and you may see how those courses transfer in to Southern at this link:  Transfer Equivalency.
  • If a student does not agree with how a course was evaluated, the student is referred to the Chair of the department to challenge it and/or complete a Transfer Credit Evaluation Inquiry form.
  • Courses that are non-remedial (college level only) will transfer with grades of a C- or better UNLESS from one of the other three CSU schools OR after receiving an Associate’s degree from a CT community college, where grades of D or better are accepted.
  • Upon transfer, students following a CSCU Transfer Ticket are guaranteed full junior status and can complete a bachelor's degree in their major without losing any credits or be required to take any extra credits. 

Can I schedule a campus tour?

  • Yes, we offer campus tours throughout the year. Schedule a campus tour now.
  • Information sessions are also provided by Admissions representatives. When booking a tour, it will be clear as to which tour slots will include the information session.
  • A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided at the time of registration.
  • If you do not have computer access, contact Admissions to register for a tour.

Can I request a catalog, course schedule, or application?

  • Requesting information about Southern can be done through our Request Information form.
  • The Undergraduate Catalog is no longer printed; the online version can be viewed at Catalogs and Schedules.
  • Course schedules are no longer printed. You can view course schedules in BannerWeb.
  • Paper applications for admission are no longer available. If you do not have a computer, we encourage you to contact your local library for computer access.

What is the advantage of having an associate degree when transferring to southern?

  • Consider the Transfer Ticket - start at a CT community college and finish at Southern without losing any credits.
  • The following link details the newest Dual Admission agreement between SCSU and the CT Community College Nursing Programs:  http://www.ct.edu/files/pdfs/nursing-agreement-scsu.pdf
  • All grades of a D or better are accepted from CT community colleges when an Associate’s degree has been posted on the transcript.
  • An Associate's degree is not required in order to transfer to Southern.

Can I come in and talk to someone about my transfer transcript to see how my credits will come in?

  • Admission counselors cannot evaluate courses for students who have not yet applied, nor without official transcripts from your previous institutions.
  • Degree evaluations and questions regarding program requirements should be directed to staff in the Office of Academic Advising.
  • Transfer students at most Connecticut institutions can view their transfer course equivalencies at this link: Transfer Equivalency.

What is the difference between a confirmation deposit and admission deposit and how can I pay it?

  • These terms mean the same thing. A deposit is required from full-time students to hold your spot in the incoming class at Southern and begins your enrollment process. This payment is applied to your student account and will be used towards your tuition bill; it is not a fee to the University. 
    Students enrolling part-time are not required to make this payment.
  • Once you are accepted, log into your admission portal to reply to the offer of admission. This link will take you to the online payment portal where you can pay your deposit via Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit cards.

What are the trustee scholarship criteria and process?

  • The Trustee scholarship is granted strictly on merit and is very limited in funding.  Admissions Counselors identify candidates during application file review in the summer each year for Fall enrollees. 

I am not going to attend this semester, can my $200 deposit be applied to the following semester?

  • Yes, but you must submit a written request to the Admission's Office to have your admission status and deposit deferred to the following term. You can do so using the Application Withdrawal and Deferral form.
  • Please note that you may defer your current admission only ONE time and up to one year.  For example, a Fall 2018 admission can be deferred to the Spring 2019 OR the Fall 2019 term.
  • If you continue taking college courses during this gap year, Transfer deferral will be honored as long as your college GPA remains above the 2.5 minimum required for Transfer admission.

When are confirmation deposits due?

  • Transfer admission is conducted on a rolling basis.  The sooner you apply, the sooner we can have a decision to you. Paying the non-refundable $200 confirmation deposit allows you to proceed with attending Orientation and registering for classes.