Early College Teachers

Southern Connecticut State University courses taught at partner school districts or high schools are identical to the courses taught at the SCSU campus. High school teachers delivering SCSU courses at their high school do so as SCSU adjunct faculty and must meet the qualifications and requirements set for Southern Connecticut State University adjunct faculty members.

Teacher in a lesson

Applicants must have a master’s degree in the discipline in which they are applying to teach. The appropriate Southern Connecticut State University academic department will determine whether applicants meet the qualifications to teach SCSU course(s) as Early College instructors.

Before applying, please contact us to begin a conversation about your interest. Southern offers many 100- and 200-level courses appropriate for academically prepared high school students who seek an Early College experience. Partner high schools should contact us to discuss curricular needs.

Once you decide to apply to become an SCSU Early College instructor please submit the following:

  • completed application form
  • A detailed cover letter describing relevant background and qualifications to teach specific SCSU course(s)
  • A current curriculum vitae
  • Letter of recommendation from your principal
  • Letter of recommendation from your department head (or a colleague, if you are the department head)
  • Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (if approved, you will need to provide official transcripts)
  • A proposed course syllabus for each course for which approval is being sought (sample available by request)

Submit materials electronically to EarlyCollege@southernct.edu

Early College instructors may not begin teaching SCSU courses at their high school until their credentials have been approved by the university. A notification letter will be sent within 4-6 weeks after the application has been received.

Early College instructors will be expected to participate in regular faculty development as determined by the supervising department and will be evaluated according to the supervising department’s procedures for evaluating its part-time faculty members. Reappointment will be determined by the supervising department.

SCSU uses the Blackboard learning management system used to host course content. Instructors interested in using this system for their dual enrollment course may do so.

To access Blackboard:

  • Click on the MySCSU log-in screen
  • Select the BlackBoard Learn 9 app

For questions or troubleshooting, please contact the IT Help Desk for support.

Southern Connecticut State University requires all faculty to verify attendance rosters at the start of each semester. This is an important step to confirm each student’s enrollment in your Early College course; this begins their official academic record at SCSU. 

How to Access Class Rosters

  • Login to MySCSU Portal 
  • Banner Faculty/Advisor
  • Faculty Attendance Entry

For guidelines on marking students ‘Attended’ or ‘Never Attended’, please review the Attendance Reporting guide.

Early College courses appear on the SCSU transcript and count as attempted credit calculated in the SCSU GPA. The grade issued on the student’s high school transcript for the course will be determined by your high school’s grading policy and may be different from the grade issued for SCSU college credit.

How to Access Grade Rosters

  • Login to MySCSU Portal 
  • Banner Faculty/Advisor
  • Faculty Grade Entry
  • Tip: Sort by Grading Status or Term to find your current courses

For guidelines on grade submission, please review the Grade Reporting guide.

SCSU faculty are available to visit area high school classes. Schedule one of our expert faculty to generate an atmosphere of inquiry, enthusiasm and excitement in an array of academic arenas. Our Visiting Scholars website lists a variety of presentations and demonstrations available. This is one additional way that Southern can support (and extend) your curriculum.