The resources on this page are intended to help spark conversations about immigration, cultural diversity, and other topics related to the experiences of all types of immigrants in the United States. The goal is to dispel myths and gain a greater understanding of what it means to be immigrant.
We hope these resources are helpful to drive conversations with students in the classroom and beyond. Please contact any of the Support Team members should you have any feedback or if you would like to know more about how SCSU is working to support our students.
- Supporting Undocumented Students and Mixed-Status Families – Resource form the Harvard Graduate School of Education about how best to support the social-emotional and other needs of these students: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/uk/18/05/supporting-undocumented-students-and-mixed-status-families
- NYU Sanctuary Syllabus - This course introduces readers to the intellectual and social histories that have given life to today’s sanctuary movement. http://www.publicbooks.org/sanctuary-syllabus/
- Define American - non-profit media and culture organization that uses the power of story to transcend politics and shift the conversation about immigrants, identity, and citizenship in a changing America. https://defineamerican.com/
- DACA Info Sheet for CT Educators - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w5V4gf35pkIOH10o2m6Osr5-sf9yawrTBIDMld_3gRI/edit
- Resources from the National Education Association - http://neatoday.org/2017/07/10/students-with-undocumented-parents/
General insight into common myths about immigration -http://www.tolerance.org/immigration-myths
Study regarding taxes paid by undocumented Americans -http://itep.org/immigration/
Details about the Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) - https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/facts-about-individual-tax-identification-number-itin
Article about the complications of becoming a citizen-http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-green-card-visa-legal-immigration-us-news-trump-2017-4
CT laws around K-12 Education - https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/rpt/2011-R-0411.htm
- UndocuAlly Training by the Dream.US - http://www.thedream.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Pre-Work-Packet.pdf
- Graphic outlining the ways the one can become a citizen-https://reason.org/files/a87d1550853898a9b306ef458f116079.pdf
- Dream Act resources from the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)-http://hacuadvocates.net/immigration?0