How You Can Participate in and Support Southern's Social Justice Mission
- Commit to learning, and helping others learn, the tenets of social justice and anti-racist work.
- Create opportunities for honest dialogues that deepen understanding about issues relevant to you in classes and your work area.
- Respect others’ right to divergent points of view and use critical thinking and knowledge to support your perspectives.
- Participate in Social Justice Month Heritage Months, and other multicultural events.
- Notice and help all students receive the guidance and support they need throughout the academic year.
- Provide university-wide education on issues relating to bias, equity, racism, oppression, restorative justice, contemplative support, accountability and leadership
- Speak up when you hear or see something unjust.
- Be an activist and join the Student Activist Committee.
- Volunteer at non-profit events staged on campus and in your local community.
- Develop advocates through training, presentations and facilitated dialogues.
- Consult with Racial Intersectional Justice Group (RIJG), Minority Recruitment Mentoring Committee (MRMC), Diversity Search Committees, Social Justice Committees, and other groups.
- Work with the DEI Advisory Council & Presidential Leadership Team (PLT) to dismantle racism, oppression and hold senior leaders and each individual accountable.
- Support individuals interested in transformative leadership through contemplative practice.