Transfer Student Advising and Course Registration
We are excited to welcome our newest Southern Owls! Upon confirmation of enrollment, you are eligible to schedule an appointment with an advisor who will:
- discuss how your credits were applied with an Advisor for your intended major
- explain what requirements remain
- provide you with a pathway toward graduation
- assist you with course selection
- provide assistance with course registration
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Make your advising appointment as soon as possible as classes often fill quickly and to maximize class selection. You do not need to wait until your Financial Aid is finalized before you register for classes. If you need assistance, please contact email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact the Advising Office or at (203) 392-5367.
Transfermation (Transfer Student Orientation)
Starting at a new institution can be challenging which is why Southern provides several ways to support the transition of transfer students in their first semester.
In addition to a comprehensive advising meeting (see the Academic Advising tab in Next Steps), transfer students are next invited to attend TRANSFERmation. These in-person and virtual programs are specific to the needs of transfer students. Throughout the program, transfer students will learn about Southern technology, how to navigate the nuances of campus life, and learn more about the other opportunities to continue to acclimate to campus.
The program also provides opportunities to meet other new transfer students, connect to orientation team members and learn about Transfer Student Assistants who are experienced transfer students that will support you throughout your first semester.
Additionally, all transfer students will be enrolled in an online orientation program through Blackboard which will be launched December 1st. This online orientation platform will allow transfer students to prepare for their first semester at Southern through various digital modules.
Space in each session has limited capacity and due to COVID guidelines we will NOT be able to expand capacity in any session.
- Thursday, July 15th
- On-Campus,10am- 3pm
- Virtual, 6pm- 8pm
- Wednesday, August 11th
- On-Campus, 5:30pm- 8pm
- Monday, August 23rd
- On-Campus10am- 3pm
- Virtual 6pm- 8pm
How to Schedule an Orientation Session:
Schedule an orientation session by going to the Undergraduate Admissions Portal, clicking on Next Steps and clicking on the “Schedule Orientation” tab.
COVID Protocols for On-Campus Sessions:
- Students must provide their own mask and wear it (properly) at all times unless they are eating or drinking.
- Activities will follow all physical distance guidelines.
- Indoor and outdoor capacities will meet required university guidelines.
- Only students registered for the program and staff will be permitted to participate in the program and all activities. (No guests) For information regarding Parent/Family Orientation, please visit https://www.southernct.edu/orientation/parent-family-orientation .
Guidelines may change based on CDC, state and university guidance.
- Meet their peers and begin to make social connections.
- Learn how to prepare for the Fall 2021.
- Meet their Orientation Ambassadors.
- Learn about valuable resources necessary for academic, personal and career success.
- Begin to understand Southern technology that will be important throughout their college careers..
- Meet other transfer students and begin to build relationships with your new classmates.
- Learn what it means to be an institution committed to access and social justice.
What to Bring (On-Campus Session):
- At least two masks as they will be required to be worn throughout the day.
- An electronic device (laptop, tablet if possible). We will have a limited number to loan students for the day.
- Comfortable dress and walking shoes. Approximately half of the day will be spent outside so please prepare for the weather.
- Lunch and snacks will be provided at no cost. We recommend bringing extra beverages and a water bottle.
- Will be on WebEx. The link will be provided via the confirmation email.
- This will be a much more condensed program that is intentionally designed to pair with the Digital Orientation (online orientation) platform.
- All transfer students will be enrolled in an online orientation program through Blackboard which will be launched June 1st.
- This online orientation platform will allow transfer students to prepare for their first semester at Southern through various digital modules and is intentionally designed to pair with a Virtual Orientation session.
How to Prepare for Orientation
Information regarding parking, meeting locations, the day’s schedule, etc.. will be provided in a confirmation email and posted on this website. Visit Frequently Asked Questions for Orientation for details on how to prepare. For more information about Orientation, please contact Orientation, Transition & Family Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (203) 392-5189 between 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday.
Wintergreen Parking Garage
109 Wintergreen Ave, New Haven, CT
Directions and Campus Map